Visa and Health Insurance

Na ovoj stranici koristimo kolačiće kako bi korisnici mogli pristupati svojim korisničkim računima te za potrebe analize pristupa fakultetskim stranicama. Nastavljanjem korištenja ove stranice pristajete na kolačiće.

International Exchange
Student Mobility
Visa and Health Insurance


EU/EEA citizens can enter Croatia with just a valid ID card (or passport) and then need to register at the Central police station if staying for more than 3 months to regulate the residence permit.

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, etc. (for full list see Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs) can enter Croatia with a valid passport and then apply for the residence permit in Zagreb. Check with the Croatian embassy in your country of residence which documentation you will need for your application in Zagreb and make sure you take it along when coming to Zagreb.

NON-EU/EEA citizens coming from a country that has a visa-regime with the Republic Croatia need to apply for a visa via the Croatian embassy in their home country before departing for Croatia.
The list of countries whose nationals need a visa to enter Croatia can be found at the pages of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Visas CANNOT be applied for or extended in Croatia! Please contact the Croatian embassy in your country of residence for more information. You will receive an acceptance letter that covers some of the documentation needed for your visa application as soon as your complete application has been approved by the faculty/academy of the University of Zagreb that will host you.

IMPORTANT! Please bear in mind that the visa application process might take up to several weeks or even months so do try to file your application as soon as possible.

You might need the originals of your "Letter of Acceptance" for your visa application; if so, please let us know as early as possible so that we can send it to you via mail in time and do also provide a shipping address.


All exchange students must have health insurance during their stay in Croatia.

  1. All EU/EAA students need to bring their European health insurance card that is valid during the entire period spent in Croatia.
  2. All non-EU/EAA exchange students are required to take out a travel medical insurance that is valid during the entire period spent in Croatia. The ensured cover must be at least 30.000 EUR and include repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical care and/or emergency treatment in a hospital. Student will need to submit a proof of medical insurance upon arrival to Zagreb, Croatia when applying for the first temporary permit.
  3. Students coming from Bosnia and Hercegovina, Montenegro and Serbia that have health insurance with their national health insurance provider in the home country may take out a proof of health insurance from the home country - so-called “bolesnički list” – and exchange it for insurance policy from the Croatian national health insurance provider. Upon arrival to Zagreb students will report to the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (Hrvatski zavod za zdrastveno osiguranje – HZZO) and submit the so-called “bolesnički list” at the address: Branimirova 37, Odjel za međunarodnu suradnju / Department for international cooperation. The HZZO will issue a document that enables exchange students to use the health services within the Croatian health system. The document is issued without additional charges.

Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
and Naval Architecture
Ivana Lučića 5
10002 Zagreb, p.p. 102
MB 3276546
OIB 22910368449
PIC 996827485
IBAN HR4723600001101346933
tel: +385 1 6168 222
fax: +385 1 6156 940
University of Zagreb
Ministry of Science and Education